Monday 14 January 2013

Up Above the Streets and Houses

There are no rainbows flying high here today. The sky is white as is most of the village. I don't mind a scattering of snow as long it doesn't stop us getting in and out of the village - gritter lorries are rarer than rocking horse shit when you live in the 'boonies'.



The only splash of colour is my current project....the rainbow granny blanket


I've sort of broken one of my resolutions by consigning another blanket to the UFO pile so that I can get cracking with this one but I do have good reason. I've managed to persuade my OH that I need a day trip to Brighton to see my friend and to save my rapidly disappearing sanity so we're heading down for a day in early Feb. The rainbow blanket is to be a gift for my friends youngest daughter - hence the urgency (any excuse will do).
I attended my first Women's Institute meeting on Thursday as a guest of the village group President!! I'm not sure it was what I expected, but the ladies (all of a certain age) were very nice and made me most welcome. I may join next month as I do need something in the way of a social life having no liked minded 'friends' within a 20+ mile radius which is a bit crap. The Parish Hall also holds a 'drop in' centre on a Wednesday morning where you can do your own thing or learn new crafts etc. Not bad for a quid which also gets you a cuppa and some cake so I will be trundling off there this week with my blanket in hand. 3 of the old dears at the WI practically begged me to go so I can't let them down can I.

4 comments:

  1. Read all your blogs when you were a Travelling Ninja and really enjoyed hearing about all your adventures.
    Glad to know that you are now settling in to village life. I just love your granny blankets - they are so cheerful. Please can you tell me, what yarn do you use and what size crochet hook? I would love to have a go at making one. I have a lot of yarn left over from when I used to machine-knit.
    Best regards
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally only buy budget double knit yarn. My favourite at the moment is Robin DK acrylic yarn which I get for £1.25 per 100g ball. Stylecraft yarn is also nice but different texture so best used on its own. I've been using either a 4, 4.5 or 5mm hook. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that. With the weather as it is, a lovely warm blanket would come in handy but I probably won't finish mine until next winter!

      Delete
  3. If you just do a continual granny square you can get them done pretty quick. The blankets I've done with individual squares (70 to 80+ squares) can take well over 100 hours with all of the sewing in and sewing together. I get a bit fed up by that stage

    ReplyDelete